Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Poppy season

Why are poppies suddenly everywhere these days? Am of course not being literal. Poppies crop up incessently in the latest Bond novel, Devil May Care. Its even on its really stunning cover. And last week I attended a reading of 'Sea of Poppies' by Amitav Ghosh. Maybe we all have opium on the brain because that of course is the poppy's main claim to fame. And both books deal with that. In the former, the chief drug lord is the villain of the piece and in the latter, well the British are the villains I am sure but the Opium Wars form the backdrop for the story. Or so I think. Cant really be sure since I wasnt completely sober when the reading was going on.
A colleague of mine invited me to the Penguin do at the Taj and since I usually associate the Taj with 'free drinks', I jumped at the chance. In the event, the free drinks werent the only thing enjoyable about the reading, the society ladies, the airkissing, the hobnobbing with the literati in Madras was more fun than I imagined. Oh plus there was the book too. Not that I really liked it much.
This is how the evening went:
1. Meet colleague in huge Taj lobby (previously having taken care to avoid very senior company boss) and then proceed to the Clive and Dupleix halls.
2. Arrive at aforementioned halls to find them mostly empty; instead head to Willingdon hall, where all the people are. With good reason - thats where the bar was.
3. Grab glass of white wine from nearest waiter while keeping an eagle eye out for champagne. Meanwhile watch the rich and mighty meet and greet each other.
4. Holler across room to waiter bearing the all-important champagne. Grab champagne flute; so does another colleague (yes, there were three of us).
5. Spot Smal's ex boss and ex colleagues with new interns. Toy with idea of saying hello and then decide (wisely I think) not to invoke wrath or the cut direct (if we were living in Regency times as envisioned by Georgetter Hayer).
6. Realise its time to go to reading and reluctantly do so. Bump into former colleague and her husband. Also see Smal's ex ex boss. Message Smal and congratulate her on having the foresight to not come to this do.
7. Everyone troops into Clive (or Dupleix) hall. By some strange concatenation of circumstances, find myself sitting next to Smal's ex boss's interns.
8. Colleague points out people she knows. I point out Smal's former employers.
9. Penguin marketing person introduces the Ghosh. Boring.
10. Ghosh reads. Something about people on a ship. Lot of hindi floats around. I rapidly lose interest. Instead watch PR girls, all very smart and well-groomed, trouser suits, straightened hair, perfect makeup. Its strange but they dont seem to have anything to do. Also very tall. Are they actually out-of-work models?
11. The Ghosh keeps on reading. Notice intern next door attempting some species of sketch.
12. The Ghosh is done! Now Smal's ex ex boss takes up the baton. Has very public 'conversation' with the Ghosh. Wish it had been private. Notice colleague seemingly struggling with champange. Very kindly offer to relieve her of burden, which she sweetly accepts.
13. Champagne downed. Now realise intern's sketch is of Smal's ex ex boss. Compliment him on sketch. Senior company boss hoofs it.
14. Right. Q&A session. Everyone asking questions seems to have read the book. Unlike the ex ex boss who opens admits to have been coached on it.
15. We're through! Thanked for being there and then told to either get book signed or have drinks. I pursue option 2.
16. After a bit of a wait, colleague and I order champagne from bar. We chat, meet people she knows. I finish my champagne. Colleague confides that she cant finish drink as she has to drive. Very nobly I agree to finish it for her. Colleague, weeping with gratitude, brokenly thanks me.
17. Room seems to be swaying a bit but otherwise everything seems to be A-OK, as the Americans would say. Besides, people look better when a little blurred around the edges. Like soft focus.
18. Summon horse (car) from stables (parking) and trot home.
Oooh did I mention, someone from some mag took pictures of me and colleagues, drinks in hand? Well, if you see that pic anywhere let me know!

2 comments:

s(m)al said...

Gosh! You make it sound like I have to avoid Chennai society forevermore since it's largely populated by my ex bosses, ex ex bosses and their interns!
Glad you got the Champagne.

Unknown said...

I liked that. Very well written and caught the spirit of the event..but who is this senior boss you were trying to avoid, do tell....Cheers!!