Thursday, May 22, 2008

Does Landmark want to be a departmental store?

Yesterday, I paid a visit to the Landmark at Spencer's. Now this is my lease favourite branch of Landmark - I've always thought it somehow tacky and tasteless. But thats now the least of its problems. It more warehouse than shop. Enter on the ground floor and you're greeted by an avalanche of luggage, leather bags tucked tightly in next to one another, and a sea of files, notebooks, pens, pencil cases and other stationery-related products. All part of the Back-to-School campaign no doubt. I gave the entire floor a once-over and headed straight to the first floor. To more chaos. The poor books, supposedly the raison d'etre of Landmark have been shunted to about a quarter of the total floor space and told very strictly not to wander about making a nuisance of themselves. The rest of the floor is devoted to jewellery (the salesman yells 'Do you want diamonds, madam?'), perfumes/cosmetics, music, DVDs, glass items, other electrical consumer goods, tableware, bathroom accessories, bed linen and god knows whatever else I didnt venture to bump into (literally). Clearly, a re-think is required to bring some order to this chaos and make shopping pleasurable again.
Or maybe I really should give serious thought to my bookstore idea. Looks like there is a gap in the market after all.

2 comments:

Siva said...

Landmark Speaking: I dont want to be a departmental store:-( Please start your shop, will love your company! :-)

Unknown said...

you crazy boy, you :-)