Wednesday, May 7, 2008

India Mania

Michael Wood is a well-known historian and broadcaster who is quite a familiar presence on Indian TV screens. The first of his TV series that I saw was In Search of the Trojan War. That must have been when I was about 14. I cant pretend that I understood everything he said then but I did develop quite a crush on him (apparently he's been described as 'the thinking woman's crumpet'). That led to my reading some of his books - In Search of the Dark Ages, Legacy, In the Footsteps of Alexander, History of Western Art and so on. Which brings me now to Story of India. As all my friends know, I'm not a big fan of my country. I like it well enough but every day I am very aware of its myriad flaws and problems. But maybe I should try not to get put off by all that and instead try and see the bigger picture, which is what Michael Wood does. He seems to be blind to the poverty, caste and population problems and the superstition and prejudice which is all-pervasive in our society. Instead he takes the most romantic view possible of India and its history and culture. Which in a way is really maybe what India needs right now. The whole world and his wife knows about all our troubles. Perhaps its right that they also get to see whats beautiful and fabulous about India. Anyway, the reason I really like this series is that it focuses so much on South India. Most books, articles, programmes on India tend to think of North India as the country and the south as a sort of bit-player. For the first time I think, the South has been given a starring role. So much so that I think that most north Indians would actually find this rather educational. I'm sure there's a lot about South Indian history that they simply havent a clue about. And not does Michael Wood talk about the South for its history and monuments but he postively quivers with excitement because he can see that history is well and alive here. Our customs and traditions and in some ways our way of life today is a continuation of something that was begun thousands of years back. And this is especially remarkable considering that the whole world is gradually becoming homogenised culturally because of the influence of new technology and communication.
Anyway, enough said. Go and watch this programme!
Story of India, Discovery Channel, 8 PM wednesdays, repeated saturdays and sundays

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey you got to be writing more, you know!

Mad Hatter said...

Really? Thank you! You're very kind :-)